Friday, October 1, 2010

mac vs. pc, matlab version

There are a bunch of reasons why a matlab script written for a pc might not work on mac and vice versa. Here are some examples (some (most) content contributed from loopy):

1. dir function to display directory listing (like ls in unix)

On a pc, you'll get this:

>> dir

.          ..         pathdef.m


. stands for "this directory" and .. stands for "directory above"

As far as I know, mac does not do this, but just starts with the regular file names. A lot of times I want to cycle though files in a directory, so I'll create an array with all of the file names, populating it with dir. On my pc, I start at n=3 to skip . and ..    but on a mac it should start at n=1. Or I should write some better code that just skips . and ..

2. for some reason my mac version never runs out of memory, whereas on the pc some of my scripts always run out of memory. same computer hardware, but the software handles memory differently.

3. folder / \ are different, and sometimes it cares, sometimes it doesn't.

4. mac can't write to excel files - there might be some individually written codes out there to handle this. [note: ugh who would write to .xls?]

5. writing pdfs in pc usually makes them sideways, or 90 degrees off, the mac version.

If there are any others out there please post.

No comments:

Post a Comment